Wednesday, September 21, 2005

An Accident

I was thinking about writing a blog about my bike ride starting from my house till my workplace at Tidel. I had set my stopwatch to note the timings of my ride.Things were fine till I came across an accident at the Tarmani road.

After waiting for the signal at the Taramani Junction near S.R.P tools, I was slowly cruising my bike in the traffic. This is the road which the government is planning to convert as a six lane road.So on the left side of the road there are huge steel boards(separators) to isolate the area of road laying operation and the route for traffic. As I was cruising slowly near the boards on to my left , I heard a sudden thud of sound.The first impression that came across is that the somebody has crashed their vehicle on to the board.But when I turned back I saw an old man, on his cycle had dashed with the board with his cheek and an almost bald head making contact with the steel boards. A couple of passengers from an auto came down and were trying to lift this person up.He was not moving and im was not sure of his state. Is his alive and unconscious or is he dead.I couldn't find this out because of the honks produced by the vehicles standing behind me and I had to move.

I could guess that the auto driver trying to squeeze past vehicles in his right hasn't noticed the old man to his left. Therefore he had pushed the cyclist further on to his left which resulted in his crash.

What did strike me hard was the expression on the face of the cyclist. He had seen the danger coming before hitting the boards and his face has frozen with that fear of impact. I couldn't explain this in words.But it really scared the hell out of me.I had come across a few accidents in my life but never had witnessed the shock in the face of the victim before.

If we start blaming somebody for this accident,then starting from the auto driver,car on to the right of auto, the traffic constable and the government can be blamed.(as Ambi's father argues in the movie Anniyan for his daughter)But what if the person had died, which I hope is not so,the loss suffered by his family could be irrecoverable.

But I feel that what caused the accident - is the people’s attitude of racing against the time to reach their workplace. I work for a software company with flexible timings. So I’m not sure if it is really not possible to calculate the time it would take (considering the peak hour traffic) to travel from home to workplace.But I think that it is not that difficult compared to causing an irrecoverable loss to somebody.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you one hundred percent.

A few questions that I always keep asking myself.

Where is the hurry? What are the things that could go wrong in a split second? What is the kind of damage one could cause to others by being even one bit careless? Those 5 minutes that you save by swerving and tossing and turning and cutting-off somebody else on the road - Are they worth it?

The thing which hurt me most is to see the most educated, refined people doing these mistakes on the road.

I am constantly thinking of a solution to these problems. What can bring about a change in attitude? What can make the city/country road friendly? I would not be surprised if I make a career out of this. There is a problem - there is a solution - does this not smell of a business opportunity.

November 03, 2005 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home