Sunday, October 02, 2005

An ordinary Gajini and an unconquerable Gauloisean rider

I went to watch the movie Gajini on saturday. Once again I was very much impressed with the trailer and was hoping that my judgement of the movie based on the trailer might not fail again.(Totti Jaya was the previous one whose trailer impressed me but not the movie). Even the guy who gives the receipt to my bike parking in the theatre was upbeat about the movie and was making me more excited.

First on the postives in the movie.

The story was a new one to Tamil cinema industry. Again Surya was stunning in his role. When I think back he was one of those guys whom I thought wouldn't make it big in the movies some 5 years back, when he was acting second fiddle to Vijay.It is a challenging role for him and he has come out good in it.Asin was looking good and she too has blended well in her role.I already liked a couple of songs in the movie and to me the picturisation of the songs seemed ok if not great.

Now on the negatives.

One is Harris jayaraj, he has let down again in the BGM. This is the second movie after anniyan where I was dissapointed with his work. There were at times in the movie where the BGM was really disturbing me.Except on one or two occasions in the movie the BGM was a total let down.Wonder what would happen to someone who watches it in a theatre complex like Mayajaal.(Chinni Theateru Bettha Soundu)
The second one is the director.Since I was impressed with the story line and the trailer, I was expecting more details on how a person with short term memory loss could survive. I would have been happier if more importance had been given to surya's living style rather than chemistry between Asin and Surya.And what would I expect in a movie like this, a great climax scene or a strategically well planned climax.Then again it was not so.I think the director was hoping that only by mixing the commercial aspects( misfitting songs, Nayan Tara and an unnecessary villain role) the movie could be a hit.Was he the one who beleived that he could give a hit with CAPTAIN not fighting against a Pakistani Theeviravathi!!!

Though I would say that the movie didnt meet my expectations, I dont mind watching it once.(say on a non DTS or non dolby 5.1 surround technology preferably).Mohammad Ghazni may not have been successful at his attempts in conquering most of the territories he invaded but he was able to return home from the war with a vast wealth.I feel Ghajini may be not be techincally a hit among all the audiences, but it could still be a good grosser at the box office.

Now moving on to the second item in the title of the blog. My spirits were already down since Gajini didn't conquer me and due to couple of other news that I received from my colleague.I came home after the movie and decided to check out ESPN/STAR and there was the Gauloisean Rider in his Yamaha 500cc bike around the Qatar Circuit.I did mean the current world champion Valentino Rossi. Rossi once again won the race.He was in the third position 4 laps to the end when Gibernau ran wide out of the track and before the last two laps Rossi came in front of Marco Melandri to take the top podium finish.It was a wonderful race on a good ciruit. There was this long straight in which the bikes reached almost 310 Km/Ph and then there was this three consecutive right handed turns that made the race more exciting.On the whole it was an exciting race and thankfully a consolation to my otherwise down spirit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home