Saturday, October 15, 2005

Riding a Thunderbird

I had another oppurtunity to ride a Thunderbird today. If it was to Tada falls last time, this time it was to the Enfield Factory at Thiruvotriyur.Since I had been visiting temples more often these days, I wanted to take a break and so decided to go to this factory visit.Even though I'm a Computer science graduate,I'm always fascinated by these Motorbikes.I was under an impression that these macho looking bikes might not suit me(to be more appropriate I might not fit them) before my ride to Tada falls. To tell you what it was not that bad.I atleast think so. Hence I was more than happy to visit the factory.

We(Me,Bala and Prabhakar joined by Sriram and Srikanth) started from Adyar in 3 Thunderbirds.The ride was totally different this time.It was on a highway last time, but this time it was through those narrow and dirty North madras roads.So we could not really touch those top speeds(110Km/hr) that these bikes are capable of.

Though this is not my first visit to a manufacturing unit, this is the first time I'm visiting a automobile factory unit.Rajesh from Royal Enfield took us to the Engine assembling unit , testing unit and various other assembling units.The whole setup has a slow moving belt around it, on which the part assembled is placed.Each employee has to finish his job before the part moves to the next person. So it is not possible for a tea break or other interruptions during work hours.

One thing that surprised me is the painting on the Petrol tank.I was under the impression that the design(ellipse) on the tank was a sticker, until I saw this guy in the painting section drawing them.Yes thats correct. He is doing a free hand drawing.Practice makes one perfect. After this we came back to Adyar showroom and I was as usual elated after riding on a thunderbird.

Here comes the twist in the tale.

Prabhakar already wanted to check out how the Electra 5s feels.After reaching the showroom, he rode on an Electra 5s for some 5 minutes. He never spoke a word about how it felt , gave the key to me and told me to try it out.Electra is not a stylish bike with a Normal looking Handle Bar, but almost the same configuration as Thunderbird.The moment I started it I could feel that I'm on top of the world. Its is a 350cc bike that weighs 165Kgs, but was such a wonderful delight driving it.I speeded up and as the slogan says 'Everybody made(makes) way for the bullet'.The manoeuvering was too good that I did a U turn, which I would not have been so comfortable with in my 110 cc bike.It just took me a 5 minutes ride on this bike to fall for it and made me think that it is better than my long time admired Thunderbird.After all of us tried our hands on it, we were awestruck by it.Here is a picture of this Beauty of a Bullet(From Royalenfield.com).



A special thanks to Sriram and Royal Enfield for giving us this wonderful oppurtunity to visit their factory.It was quite a very interesting visit for me. To get a closer look at something that you admire, always makes you happy be it a beautiful girl or a beautiful Bullet for that matter.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...its amazing that Royal Enfield is organising such factory visits. I was looking for such an opportunity to have a look at the "Making of the Legend".

Though I dont own a Royal Enfield, I always wanted to have one. I also believe that Electra (new version) is too good and I am happy to see Srivathsan reinforcing the same.

Now before I buy the legend let me see the making of the legend.

October 18, 2005 6:22 AM  
Blogger Shiva said...

Welcome to the club buddy.. I hope u own one of these iron steeds someday :)

shiva.

December 27, 2005 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home