Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Head vs Heart

Very often I'm tangled with this question.Given a situation or a problem how should one act upon.Should one listen to his head or his heart. I had almost always listened to what my head says rather than what my heart says.The reason is pretty simple. I have been brought up like that. People around me always told me that whenever there is a problem, analyse it,think about it logically or laterally, come out with possible solutions and choose the best one with minimal risk or loss in it.Be it in my house or school or college or my friends I was taught this way and nobody said that there is anything wrong with it.Also I do not think I haven't lost anything in life till this point.

But I think back and see what would have happened had I listened to my heart instead of my head during my counselling after 12th standard.I might have not chosen a computer science group in my college. I always wanted to graduate from Anna University/REC Trichy/PSG whatever the discipline be. When I went for my counselling I decided to go for S.R.M as my head suggessted. I'm wondering if I would have faired this well had I taken any other decision.

And recently I decided to quit my job after thinking hard. My heart would always have preferred to stay with my former employer. The project I got allocated was a pretty good one,I had very good friends, I had decent monetary benefits and my manager had faith in me. So I could not have asked for more.But my head always kept on suggesting that there is something missing in here that could appraise me in my life.And listening to it I had quit, once again hoping that I would be right.

I remember a conversation that I had with one of my managers who is an American.He told me that given a situation he is not going to think too much.He always has the point of enjoying his life at any given time.Hence any decision that is going to hinder him his happiness, be it making him the next CEO he is not going to care.And he is happy with his life and self satisfied listening to his heart.

May be I have missed some things that would have provided more joy to me in life and I realise thats the price I need to pay for listening to my head.But as always looking at the problem 'Head - Heart', my head once again wins it.I still decide to listen to whatever it says.I would definitely want to change and start listening to my heart sometime in future, not because my head line is not good in my right palm but it means that at that point I'm self satisfied with whatever I have in my life.I hope that day is not too far.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My case had been different. Under different circumstances different things had made me take decisions. But I have faith in destiny and strongly believe that it will show my way

November 08, 2005 7:55 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Destiny is a different perspective.Many a times we make our decision and then feel that its our destiny.Or at times there might not be more than one option and thats destiny again.I hope I can understand what is the different circumstance and the different decision that you are refering here.

November 08, 2005 8:29 AM  
Blogger Yadhvi said...

I second balaji's opinion - life with a mix of Head and Heart is indeed interesting..With destiny playing the fiddle. But, again reading b/w the lines, wondering what made you come up with this justification!

November 08, 2005 10:40 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Yadhvi,
Thats exactly what I've been telling.I should try to listen to my Heart also. Its just the thought of what beholds me at my new company coupled with the fact that my hair falling rate is less now made me think on these lines.

November 08, 2005 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I "third" the head/heart mixture concept.

I suppose it has to do with our current state of mind, at any given point in time. In this context, we can be in two states (as in binary) - 'rational' and 'emotional'. When one is in the 'rational' state, (s)he would not stand by an earlier decision which was driven principally the heart. When one is in the 'emotional' state, (s)he would not stand by an earlier decision which was driven principally the head.

Nobody can stick to one of these states of minds. We just alternate from one to the other.

How is that for "Gyan for the day" ?!?

BTW, a friend of mine who is an ardent fan of Rajini quotes his saying in one of the films "Naan idhai kaettu vaelai seiyyaradhu illai (pointing to his head) - idhai kaettu vaelai seiyyuraen (pointing to his heart)" - Was it Baasha ? My friend says what works for his thalaivar works for him !!!

November 09, 2005 12:19 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Naveenan,
Yes thats from Baasha when thalaivar talks to Villain.I agree with you.But its not that easy for me to act as per my heart.

November 09, 2005 1:14 AM  
Blogger Yadhvi said...

mmm... srivat, you have created such a reputation, it is infact difficult to even imagine you acting as per his heart! Then, Oct'20 would have had one more significance!

November 09, 2005 1:46 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Rombave Kashtam.enakkum puriyudhu.I really dont bother about my reputation as such..its my true character.Ithe mathiri iruntha Oct'20 kellam vaippey kedayathu :-).

November 09, 2005 3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dey ennada,

2 perum maathi maathi Oct 20 pathi pesareenga. enna aachu annikku

November 09, 2005 4:46 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Nee nenaikara mathiri ellam ethuvum illa.appadi nee nanaikera mathiri ethavathu thappi thavari nadantha un kitta sollama irupana.

November 09, 2005 5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home