Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Rahman 'Rings' on Stage

The stage version of Lord of the Rings opens today at Toronto. Lord of the Rings had always been my favourite book in English and the same holds true with the movies. Couple of years back I used to check out the fansite more than a dozen times a day so that I dont miss even the smallest of news about the movie.In fact I even joined a BNU online LOTR class to know more about the story and the characters.:-)

There are some portions of the book that I would have loved to see in the movie, but then I can't complain, the extended edition DVDs did justice.Looks like the on stage show of LOTR runs for 3.5 hrs with two intermissions.Once again I think it is going to be hard to satisfy the diehard lovers of book.But people who were lucky enough to watch the preview show had appreciated the whole effort.

More importantly , the music composer is our very own A.R.Rahman along with a finnish Folk group Vartinna.So thats more than one reason I would love to watch the show.And Of course you cannot expect any 'Chaiyya..Chaiyya' or even 'Bombay dreams' for that matter.I wish he gets to make many such enjoyable and memorable compositions.

Anyways waiting to hear my fav lines 'The road goes ever on and on'.

PS:I do find some of the sites mentioning Rahman as 'Bollywood Composer'?? - Really!!!.Thats news to me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your comment on my blog and headed straight here. I know it is unfair to judge even before listening, and he has given good melodies in the past. But imagine Rahman setting tunes to some of the best loved songs of JRR! The Tolkien purist that I am, refuse to give a second chance.

March 27, 2006 2:21 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

'The Tolkien purist that I am, refuse to give a second chance.'. Now I know - its hard to convince you to even listen to it :-).
I beleive its just not only about the melodies. On stage its more than that, the mood of the scene has to be conveyed thru music. I'm not sure if Rahman has so many variations, but I still would want to give him a chance before concluding.

March 27, 2006 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home