Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Chikku bukku chikku bukku rayilay

7.10 A.M:

I was parking my bike in the two wheeler stand next to the railway station. And off goes the train's hooter at the station and I see the train entering the station.I start my sprint, climb three steps at a time, racing all the way to reach the platform untill I see the train still standing at the station.The frantic run I made came to an abrupt end and I see this middle aged man,(walking casually next to me to get into the train, looks like a regular traveller for the past 10-15 years), looking at me as if asking
'Aiyoo..Aiyoo!!Inga paruda,Athan Train nikuthula,appuram yaen thevai illama thala therikka odi vantha'.
I got his point. I waited outside the train,boarded it after it started moving and looked at him as if saying
'Engalukku theriyatha..Naangellaaaam vanthapurama than inge Trainey edupanga.Train oadumpothu naanga athukulla nippom,illa train nikkum pothu naanga ippadi than oaduvom.Ithellam kandukidaprathu.ithu valibha vayasu(??vadiveluvey solraruppa..naan sollakoodatha)!!!'

7.30 A.M:

I was all fresh in the morning , standing as usual near the door of my train. With the gush of air on my face,eagerly looking at the train on the opposite track. Somebody's cell phone rings 'Pachhai nirame, Pacchai nirame' from Alaipayuthe.The build up looks apt..But the train in the opposite track was empty(looks like heading to shed). Me still confident,hums 'sakiyeh',aligns myself to the open door of the train in the opposite track to see through into the next train in the other platforms.What a surprise.I was able to see the Tambaram railway station ticket counter building but nothing else all through my line of sight.(From Platform 8).Incredible. What else can I do other than appreciate the talents of the drivers, for aligning the trains so perfectly, so that I can look at how beautifully the tambaram railway counter building is painted.(Grrrrrr) somebody's cell phone inside the train rings 'Ennoda Rasi nalla rasi'.(as in the movie mazhai).

7.50 A.M:

The train reaches S.R.M.E.C,the college I graduated from.Annoyingly very few students got down of the train.Looks like there is still the rule to wear ID card pattai's with 'SRM' on it.I remember that it all started from our batch.The H.O.D at that time sent a couple of guys from our batch to visit TIDEL park to find out the details of these pattai's and CSE were made to wear it.Later all the disciplines were told to do the same.I never understood the concept behind it.Does wearing an ID with pattai make one professional?.I dont think so.But what I know is if one doesn't wear it he is sure to lose all his money paying penalty to the college.I hated this pattai,and had never worn it from my house.Will sport it only after I enter the campus.I saw some of these guys in the train wearing it from their house.huh..Chinnapulla thanamalla irukkku!!!

S.R.M. college leavu pola irukku..

Unga yarukavathu eppo thorapangannu theriyuma..trainla kootamey illa.Eppo open panrangannu therinjha first class pass vangalamanu yosikaren.Vera onnum illa.

8.10 A.M:

The train arrives at the beautiful Paranur station.I jump outside the train from the wrong side(the one without platform), land on the stones and walk towards the waiting cabs.Few of the others also do the same.The guy from next compartment also tries it, slips and lands on those stones in the track.Someone comes rushing to help him.He signals to them not to come and says he is ok,looks around and walks up..Kezhai vizhundhalum pinnadi kaalu koothalaiyamam. Wanted to ask him
'elai..karuppu pantu..are you from south tamilnadu..vaigai belt'.

Wondering what is he going to tell when someone asks him what happened.

3rd person : ennapa pinnadi pantu kezhingirukku.
Vaigai belt : Oh.Appadiya..Train varumpothu oruthan footboardla yera ponanpa.silippagi sakarathula matikka irunthavana..kaapatharappa kezhigirukum.
3rd person : Ada illapa..etho kallu kuthi kizhinja mathirilla irukku.
Vaigai belt : oru usira kappatharappo ithellam kandukedaprathu.avan avan adikira mazhaila, irukka veddu illama irukanam..ithula en pant kezhinjatha pathi nalla kekurangaya deataillu.

Two things that I wanted to convey through this post.
  • I'm loving my travel to office by train via the same route that I relished during my college days.I hope it stays that way (atleast for a few months).
  • This guy vadivelu has impressed me too much that I try to avoid his language and style that pops up during normal conversation.I hope he keeps up his good work.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those were the days. 7.10 direct. I book a place for u in Pazhavanthangal itself.
Those endless debates of which train is direct train to Chengalput. The butter biscuit treats, all the 'udhaars' that we vittufied to our juniors, all the 'geththu' that we showed to other dept guys, and most of all the 12 movies that we directed during our train trips.

I am happy that you can relive a few of those moments

November 30, 2005 9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't agree with u better on Vadivelu's influence on me.

November 30, 2005 7:14 PM  
Blogger srivat said...

Bala,
I'm hoping to see a few of those incident once the college reopens.I feel that our creativity is highest during these train travels - 12 movies as you said and this blog.

November 30, 2005 8:20 PM  
Blogger Yadhvi said...

srivat,
appadiye narya 'Autograph' stories nyabagam varudha? Nee 'No' dhansolluve...Must ask Bala for details :-)

November 30, 2005 8:43 PM  
Blogger srivat said...

Yadhvi,
Trainla ellam , no 'Auto-crap'. Only 'Alaipayuthe':-).As usual antha alavukku therama irunthiruntha me would not be travelling in second class and watching the sunrise and sunset.

November 30, 2005 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Srivatsa,

Tell yadhvi abt the "Roller" that the "Stepper" would roll into general compartment. Probably the only "Auto-crap" that I could think off. And also the VPT kadhal jodigal like kandhan, valli etc.

Who knows??? Ippa Infy-la edhavadhu oru gal, train-la varalaam. Find out. If she is going by 1st class, then you have a chance.

But if she is going in ladies compartment, then curse our birthstars. Adhanaala thaane naama ippadi irukkom.

November 30, 2005 11:06 PM  
Blogger srivat said...

Nammala mathiri birthstars irukaravangalukaga thaan ippo sila trainla first class and ladies compartment thani thaniya illam onna irukku. Ennaku therinju infy-la konjam girls trainla varanga..aana second class kooda onnu rendu pasangaloda.so no pheeelings..

December 01, 2005 12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ivlo matter nadandhu irukka unga college times la? Good good :-)
But gujili pathi yedhuvume pesaliye. Censored aa?

December 01, 2005 12:31 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

ferrari,
gujili - censored - me no.
gujilis ellam antha andavaney en lifelerunthu censor pannitaru.Athan solrathukku ethuveme illa :-(.

December 01, 2005 5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

srivatsa,

namma varanda kaala college vazhkai-ya blog-la bagiranga paduthaadha

December 01, 2005 8:35 AM  
Blogger Peelamedu_bulls said...

The route is green, given the recent rains.
The 'ROUTE's is pretty dry, given that SRM college hasnt opened yet.

December 03, 2005 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home