Sunday, December 18, 2005

PJ tames King Kong

After casting the magic in the Box office for three years with the rings trilogy, Peter Jackson returns with a bang, truly a very big bang with King Kong.Before he announced his passion to make a movie about this beast I was hoping that PJ is on his way to direct Hobbits of J.R.R Tolkien.This is purely because of the fact that I did not like his horror movies like Brain dead and Frighteners and I did not want him to go back to his old skills in directing horror movies.



But I was proved wrong.He looks to me like a new director after making Lord of the Rings.KingKong by PJ is going to be a much talked about movie for years to come.Infact I realised this even before the beast shows himself up in the movie.The very scene where the crew meets the tribe of Skull Island was indicative of the spectacle to unfold.There is nothing new for me to put in here about the movie because too many websites and blogs have already analysed this movie,comparing it with the old classics with most of them appreciating it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.For me people who stand out in the movie are the director,the visual effects team(WETA again!!!),music director,the beautiful Naomi Watts and ofcourse the King Kong.There was a big cry from the Lord of the rings fanatics when Andy Serkis the man behind Gollum(Smeagol) was not recognised properly for his efforts in LOTR.Wondering if it is going to be the same for this talented actor this year also.It is the expressions and motions of this actor which was captured and then transfered on to Kong.I sincerely hope he gets his fullest reward for his work.

At times the director reduces the tempo of the movie giving too much details before the ship gets on to the Island.Thats when I had some time to contemplate about the relationship between the beautiful girl in my front seat and the guy sitting next to her.I could not come to a conclusion if he was her brother or boy friend because there wasn't enough time for me as the movie picks up pace.I dont mean to say that these scenes lack quality, but they were not so impressive to me.There are a couple of places in the movie where the quality of CG was really not upto the standard. The first one is when the people were running between the legs of the dinosaurs and the other one is when KingKong chases the hero in the streets of NewYork.On the whole it definitely has a high probability of winning Oscar for Visual effects.

After reading all these reviews it is easy for anyone to come to a conclusion that this is another movie which relies totally on those animations,beautiful visuals, stunts and actions.I would not say so.PJ has tried to prove a point - the beauty subduing the beast - rightly reflected in this dialogue by Carl Denham "The beast looked upon the face of beauty. Beauty stayed his hand, and from that moment he was as one dead".
A must watch movie in theatres (and a must posses DVD also).

2 Comments:

Blogger Peelamedu_bulls said...

Naanum konjam paathen in a BBC special..Visual Effects do stand out odd at some places, but then PJ has made t just for the passion of making it. He wudnt bother if he doesnt get OScars for Special Effects.

December 18, 2005 10:25 PM  
Blogger srivat said...

Yeah p'kar.PJ has revealed it in many interviews that making this movie is one of his child hood dreams, and so I too think he shouldn't be bothered about awards.

December 19, 2005 12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home