Tuesday, December 20, 2005

'Miss'in a train

A couple of days back after starting from Tambaram, the train moved a couple of yards and then halted.Since I was in the first compartment(no...not the driver's cabin,I meant the one next to it.) I got down to see whats the problem.Everything looked perfect the track was clear, the signal was green and there was nobody crossing the tracks.Just then I noticed a girl getting down the stairs walking towards the train.She turned back and signalled two of her friends to the train.Only then I realised that the driver had stopped the train so that these girls can get into the train.Not sure if they signalled him to stop.I was surprised to see that the girls did not show any hurry in getting into the train.Infact even if they wanted to run they couldn't because of the design and length of the heel in their footwear.The driver waited till they got into the ladies compartment and then started the train again.

The thing that surprised me here is the attitude of these girls.
  • They are supposedly smart people working for a software firm, but that does not mean they have to cat walk in the platform as if it is some fashion stage or the train is some call taxi they had hired.There are lots of manufacturing and services company workers travelling in the same train for whom punctuality is a must and if they dont go to office by time they will lose half the day's wage.The other day one such worker told me that there is a chance that the gate near another station might not be closed if the train doesn't start at the right time and he might be late to work.I'm not going to comment on the footwear of these girls.I'm not sure when are these people going to learn that the dress they wear should also be comfortable for them keeping in mind their commuting options.(I haven't tried climbing stairs with any of the ladies high heels footwear, but during my school days I found it difficult to cllimb the stairs with sports spikes).
  • Even though the general compartment is the nearest one these girls boarded only in the ladies compartment.The next station is just 2 mins away and they can very well get down there and go to the ladies compartment leisurely.I wondered why are these people hesistant to board a half filled general compartment, that too with 70% of guys working for a software firm who in more probability are cultured enough.But alarmingly the same evening I saw them boarding the general compartment(which was more crowded than the morning), but the difference now is that they boarded with their boy friends.
One thing that is clear to me is the driver is not going to stop the train next time and even if he stops I would not get down again to see what is the problem.

PS : By the way I have written about 3 girls complaining on their attitudes and not describing any cheerful facts about them.Looks strange to me though.Is there something wrong with me or may be with them :-).

12 Comments:

Blogger Peelamedu_bulls said...

Gals are smart..eh thats true. They didn't want to release another 'Uyire'.
But in this case, there cudnt possibly be one !!

December 20, 2005 7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Srivatsa,
Agree with P'kar. Avanga odi vandhurindha pakkathu train-um serndhu stop aagi irukkum.

December 21, 2005 12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time when the girls come closer to the train, the driver should start the train. Appo Srivatsan door side la nindhu andha ponnungaLa paakanum.
Udane andha group la irundhu oru ponnu srivatsan paathu thittidum
Evening srivatsan, Tirvanmiyur beach la bike oattite poi 'Ava enna paathu thittitaa' appadinu kathikite povaar.
Correct dhaane? :-)

December 21, 2005 1:31 AM  
Blogger I am not said...

What you said is correct. Also you dont sound odd coz everyone has the same feeling when it comes to meet the problems caused by this "Penn Munnurimai" ideology overdoing its job in buses and trains.
I also once had a bitter feelings when was caught at Tbm for not possesing my id for train pass. I saw my class-mate(a girl) standing there even without a pass. It was around 9 PM. The officials let the girl go as it was late night even she had her boy friend to accompany her and made me wait there till 10.30 till I could persuade them that the pass was mine with the college id.


PS: The most bitter part of this was the girl dint even tell the officials that I was her class-mate when se was let. Otherwise I could have escaped.

December 21, 2005 5:16 AM  
Blogger I am not said...

Sorry i waited till 9.30.

December 21, 2005 5:18 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Pkar & Balaji,
'Uyire' ellam romba Periya vaarthai.Naan nejamave enna problemnu pakka thaan pa keezha eranginen..Naan nallavan..enna yarumey namba mattengaringale

Ferrari,
Thanks Ferrari.Kekave romba santhosama irukku..enna kooda madhavan rangukku compare panratha nenaicha enakku santhosathila azhugachiya varuthu.But antha mathiri nadaka vaippu remba kammi.ungalukku theriyathu.naan entha compartmentla irukaennu therinja ponnungellam vera platformukku poi sutthithu vanthu trainla irukira kadasi compartmentla yeridaranga..huh..:-(

iamnot,
moral of the story enna.Onnu pass vangidanum illa collegelerunthu varumpothu oru ponnoda varanum.Pheel panratha paatha varutha padatha valibha sanga member pola irukku..:-).

December 21, 2005 5:52 AM  
Blogger Yadhvi said...

srivat,
whatever it be, nee train le pora purpose serve aagudhu illa?

December 21, 2005 9:32 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Yadhvi,
Neenga entha purpose pathi solreengannu enaku puriyala.:-D. But whatever the 'purpose' be i'm enjoying the travel more than the company bus commute.

December 21, 2005 7:49 PM  
Blogger Subhashri said...

what u say may be correct..i would just suggest that the reason for being slow in walking could be anything that we dont know about..not necessarily high heals..dont generalise the total community based on what u see..iam not being feminist..but just my 2 cents at gauging what we see..

December 29, 2005 11:58 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Bhooma,
May be what you say is true. I reread my blog and to me it appears to be dealing only with those 3 girls whom I saw and never did I mention anything globally. The only generic statement there I think is my comment on people climbing the stairs with high and thin heel shoes.I still stand by it.IMHO it is not only uncomfortable, but is also dangerous.

December 29, 2005 7:59 PM  
Blogger Marutham said...

Some girls are like that, and the problem is those SOME ...
They never realize it. Avai aridhal PESA MATTUM ILLA'nu avungaluku vilanga villai polum!!!

December 31, 2005 10:28 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

marutham,
Exactly.Thats my point too.

January 01, 2006 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home