Sunday, January 29, 2006

Found Him!!!

A couple of days back we(Bala,Prabhakar and I) were at Tanjore Brahadiswarar temple, scanning the inscriptions on the southern wall of the temple to locate a couple of words - Vallavarayan Vanthiyathevan.After enjoying the sculptures and trying to decode the stories behind those sculptures we set out to search the name of one of the heroes of 'Ponniyin Selvan'. Intially we started searching together, for it was very difficult to map those fonts to our current fonts. Then we split and scanned each section separately but were unable to locate it and finally gave up. But I managed to click the inscriptions on the entire south wall of the temple ,hoping to search it slowly.And now I have finally found him!!!.

Here I present you - the name of my Hero - Vallavarayar Vanthiyathevar-inscribed as in Tanjore temple . Click on the pic to enlarge it(marked with yellow rectangle- The second half of the name is not clear though) I'm really happy to have located his name in the inscription.It was one of the reasons we set out to Tanjore.The effort of painstakingly looking at my monitor and zooming in and out the pics for two hours was not futile in the end.



On the whole it was an excellent weekend.Check Bala's blog for a detailed travelogue.I will soon try to update the other pics as well.

A very big Thanks to varalaaru (a special thanks to Gokul Seshadri) for providing us with all the knowledge about art,architecture,culture,inscriptions etc., that made the trip more exciting. In case you are interested in knowing the history of Tamil kings,temples,Inscriptions etc.,do check out the articles in their portal.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...is this the one that I showed you ppl. initially we were skeptic about the "ry", now it is confirmed.

January 29, 2006 4:47 PM  
Blogger srivat said...

Bala,
not sure though..This is just five stones away from the start.I believe the one we spotted was some where in the middle.I cross checked it by intrepreting the whole line.

January 29, 2006 8:42 PM  
Blogger Krish said...

Good catch :-)

January 29, 2006 8:48 PM  
Blogger Yadhvi said...

Super!!
Am sure, the find just made your day and the trip worthwhile!

January 30, 2006 12:30 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Thennavan,
Welcome and Thanks :-).

Yadhvi,
Definitely.Though this was one of the main reasons we went, the sculptures at airavateesvarar temple(Tharasuram) was the unexpected.I just didn't have enough time to read about it before visiting, for it would have made it more interesting.

January 30, 2006 2:55 AM  
Blogger I am not said...

These days I think u and bala are looking more interested towards ancient architecture. I have not seen the pics yet. Bala told P'bakar had done a great work with the cam.

January 30, 2006 6:00 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

iamnot,
Have you read 'Ponniyin selvan'.IMHO that book triggered my interests towards Cholas.
About Pics and Pkar..thats true.It has come out well.Will upload them shortly.

January 30, 2006 7:52 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

Hi Srivath,

I don't know what to say.Its awesome man.Your effet is truly incredible.The pictures are too good,i wanted to take the picture of the "Big Temple" like this.Keep it up.

February 02, 2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger srivat said...

Hi Sami,

Welcome :-)
Thanks.

February 02, 2006 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home