Monday, January 02, 2006

Bison

This post is not related to the ad that we used to hear in All India Radio few years back.But about this news I saw in Indian Express(chennai edition) about a Bison giving birth to a calf in Vandalur Zoo.

Some three years back when I went to Vandalur Zoological park,I got the oppurtunity to see an Indian Bison at close proximity. I was struck by the enormity of the beast at my first sight. Infact all three of my friends were gaping at the beast discussing about the size of its leg and head, while the Bison was majestically standing near a tree. The guards who supply food to the animals there told us that there are also a couple more bisons in the zoo.I never beleived it and assumed that its just another statement to attract more visitors.But now the above news confirms whatever that guy said :-).

Two years back when I was away to Coonoor, I got another oppurtunity to see the beast , this time on a village road.The whole village has gathered on one side of the road with the Bison parading on the other side of the road without giving a damn to the whistles and shouts of the on lookers.In fact one of my friends with a camera in his hand ran for almost 100-150 meters to get a snap of it.Such was the pace of the animal.

The third time I saw the Bison was somewhere in the Kodai to Munnar Trek trail. He was peacefully grazing when we hid ourselves behind some thick trees. Suddenly the Bison realised that he is being watched, then exactly turned towards us, looked at us and then started running. The last act surprised me.I didn't expect an animal of such a tremendous size to sprint away from some 5 guys whose collective weight will not be more than the weight of one of its leg.If you are lucky enough you can sight one or two in Kodai and they will neither run away nor attack you(under normal circumstances).

The guide who accompanied us then clarified that Bisons are being hunted in those areas.I was told that poachers used to come in Jeep and hunt these animals, obviously for their skin,meat and horns.Every now and then when we were walking we could hear some trees being rattled, deafening footsteps near us all because that Big beast was scared of us and is running for its life. It scared the hell out of us ..what if it misjudged the sound and came running towards us.Fortunately nothing like that happened and infact we didn't see any other animal throughout the next day.

Coming back to the article, I was indeed very happy to see this news,(infact the paper had a picture of the calf, but I dont see it in the website). This might appear silly to some of you, but had you been in the middle of the forest and seen this huge Bison running for its life in its own habitat then you might as well appreciate this news.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the Indian Bison in close proximity in Masinagudi. Truly majestic and giagantic animal.

Its head and horns were fearsome

January 02, 2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger srivat said...

Bala,
Nobody could argue on its stirking majesticity.

January 02, 2006 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking at the title of the post, I thought you were talking about Michael Essien :-)

And yes. I have seen lots of bisons in Kabini and Bandipur wildlife sacntuary!

BTW, have you ever wondered why there are undergarments with the brand name Bison? I havent seen any Bisons wearing undergarments!

January 03, 2006 4:55 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Ferrari,
:-)
Good question.Obviously I could not think of any really valid answer. Are they trying to imply that it is as strong as Bison.(Kizhiyave Kizhiyadhunnu ethavathu tag line irunthatha enakku nyabagam illai.:-)).Whatever it is this + Gopal tooth powder were my favourite ads those times.

January 03, 2006 5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or the banian looks like the maadu kombu?

January 03, 2006 10:48 PM  
Blogger I am not said...

When I saw the title, I remembered only Goundamani calling senthil as "Bison" in some film, which i dont remember.btw i appreciate ur visit to the Zoo. Me, studying in the campus next to it had not visited it yet.

January 07, 2006 12:10 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

iamnot,
ahem..I studied in a college which is not far off from zoo, for four years but didn't go there even once.Ideally, it is not a place a college goer would like to go after bunking his classes and definitely not on a holiday be it he is a member of V.V.S or not.

January 08, 2006 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home