Thursday, January 05, 2006

The SMS about SMS

'Hi. Effective 3rd Jan 2005, you can enjoy 100 SMS free per day. Additional SMS beyond 100 per day will be charged @ 20P'.
I got this message from hutch.

First of all i'm not an avid cell phone user.The only reason I bought it was to give my mobile number to the job consultants when I was planning to quit my job.I was not so mean to use my office telephone for attending phone interviews.But nowadays it substitutes my watch be it for checking time or setting alarms and occasionaly I do use it for messaging/talking.

So for me 100 SMS free per day looks to be like too much of an offer.Infact i'm not sure what is my current plan and how much is charged for an SMS.Thanks to the dictionary feature in the cell phone otherwise I would have gone crazy typing messages in it.Obviously I was surprised, will someone be able to send close to 100 messages per day.

But as I was speculating, I was reminded of this college goer whom I saw in the station(I mean Railway station) sometime back. She was messaging someone, typing using both her hands on a cell phone key pad, at a speed which will be easily 100 times faster than whatever I can type at my fullest concentration. It was amazing.(I'm unbiased,this is a compliment for her skill).The immediate question that came to me, do they have any special training institutes to help people learn to type in a cell phone like typewriting institutes.I guess these skills come by practice.And no wonder then, Hutch might even go on to make lots of profit.

9 Comments:

Blogger Yadhvi said...

Srivat,
Another indication that we are getting older..Same with me..I don't even finish half my talktime everymonth! but my brother is a fervent user of the SMS and talktimes! gets it is a college goer thing without any gender bias!

January 05, 2006 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some people like harish are experts enough to type a message without seeing the mobile.

more than the age,i think it is the necessity that makes peoples expert in this

January 05, 2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Bala,
Egjactly.I too think its the necessity that creates this talent.Namakku thevai ippothaiku illai..aana nalaiku enna nadakumnu yarukku theriyum :-D.

Yadhvi,
Agree that its not gender biased. But I haven't seen a guy using a cell phone like that.Looks like bala has seen someone.
BTW did you say growing old :-( possibly yes.

Hiren,
Welcome :-).

January 05, 2006 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SMS liye oru kaalathula vaazhndhen. Nowdays I prefer calling, than sending sms since most of my calls are STD. And STD SMS is 2 Rs!

January 06, 2006 3:35 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

Ferrari,
Appo neenga blog ezuthirun theengana He-She ellam SMS short formla pesi irupangalo..enna mathiri pasangalukku padikarthu kashtama irunthirukkum..:-)

January 06, 2006 8:22 AM  
Blogger I am not said...

What you saw in the station is only a sample of us( d coll students). Some of my frnds type the messages without even seeing the keypad. Even I was doing that with my old 3315. I attribute this skill of us to the usage of tamil words in sms. To type tamil words, we dont use T9, this helps in improving the speed and typing skills. I have seen many 1100 phones with the words on the keypad getting erased and even then thier users don't find it difficult to type sms.

January 07, 2006 12:01 AM  
Blogger srivat said...

iamnot,
ummm...etho adikara smsla usefula iruntha seri thaan..I meant useful to the sender in some ways..illati ivalavu kashta patu msg anuppi apuram use illam poida koodathu :-).

January 08, 2006 7:06 AM  
Blogger Peelamedu_bulls said...

Boss, cellphone le essay competetion vachu jeipaanga pola. Gokka makka. Again the fastest finger award goes to the fairer sex this time also. Imagine the amount of multitasking..SMS adikumpodhe..pakathule irua ponnu kooda pesaradhu...appadiye andha corner le iruka paiyanukku kannu kaatradhu ..uff !

January 08, 2006 10:13 PM  
Blogger srivat said...

Pkar,
Kandippa..antha award avungalukku thaan kodukanum.BTW yaaru antha ponnu ungalukku kannellam katranga pola irukku..:-D

January 09, 2006 12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home